Saturday, November 20, 2010

A Day in the Life of a Stay-at-Home Fiancé in Dalian


The most challenging aspect of moving to China for me has been transitioning from a full-time career focused person to a stay at home fiancé. Honestly, I don't exactly know how to be a stay at home anything; I've always been employed since before I was 15 years-old. After moving here and realized I wouldn't find a position in my career field, I found I'm not the only person in this predicament. I've already met a great group of friends who have about as much time on their hands as I do. We have extended lunches and coffee hours and just hangout and chat. As an example, we had an exceptional extended lunch this week hosted by my friend Leon of leg of goat curry. It was intended to be leg of lamb, a common piece of meat in Ireland, but instead of lamb we got goat. Our Chinese friend who acquired the leg of goat said Chinese consider a sheep and goat to be the same so that's how we ended up with the leg of goat. I find leg of goat a bit chewy, but the curry was delicious.

In addition to just hanging out with friends, several organizations sponsor activities for ex-pats with time on their hands. I play mahjong Monday and Thursday morning. Mahjong is a Chinese game very common amongst Chinese. It typically involves gambling for the Chinese, even though gambling is illegal in China. It is similar to the card game rummy, but is played with tiles. Tuesday is coffee hour at Starbucks. This week I also started Chinese painting lessons, which are held Wednesday mornings. Being an "artist" is a bit of a stretch for me, so I was a bit intimidated when I saw the painting I was going to recreate. Surprisingly the painting isn't horrible. There are also sponsored monthly lady luncheons and cooking demonstrations. I have only substitute taught 3 1/2 days, but plan on doing some more when I return in January. I also plan on volunteering at an orphanage. I haven't volunteered yet because there was a scabies breakout. Scabies I learned is similar to lice, but the bugs barrow under your skin. I also find I spend more time acuqiring things. For example, there is no one stop shopping like you'd find at Super Target in the U.S.A., if you want meat you need to go to the butcher, vegetables, to the vegetable market, finger nail polish remover to a store that sells cosmetics, spaghetti sauce the import store, athletic apparel a special sports store, etc. Finally, I try to fill my days with daily workouts and enjoy having time to read.

Mahjong game
1st Chinese painting
Although I would prefer to work, specifically in my field of HR, and don't think this will be a permanent gig as a state-at-home fiancé, I'm appreciative of the opportunity for the "time off" and the slower pace of life.

1 comment:

  1. Tanya, I think you could make a new career out of your painting, Will you be able to bring any home at Christmas?

    ReplyDelete