Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Would you like cupping? Okay...


Andrew and I went out for dinner in downtown Dalian Friday evening. After dinner he suggested that we go for a massage. For me, it was very strange to think of getting a massage at 9:00 p.m., but thought what the heck, the place was right down the street from the restaurant and massages are inexpensive here. Andrew and I were in the same room and at the end of the massage Andrew was asked if he'd like cupping. He said "okay." The masseuse then asked if I'd like cupping. I said "okay." We're not sure why we both said okay. I guess we were just feeling adventurous. Thankfully Andrew went first. Basically, they put a lit torch and placed the lit torch in a small fishbowl and adhered the fishbowl/cup to Andrew's back. Instantly the skin within the cup turned bright redish purple. I quickly decided that it wasn't going to be such a good idea for me; besides realizing I didn't know what the benefit of cupping was (later I discovered that although the Chinese think cupping can cure many things, there isn't any scientific proof that it has any benefit), I was going to be in a wedding wearing a strapless dress in two weeks and clearly cupping leaves bruises. The masseuse adhered 21 cups on his back. After Andrew convinced me it didn't hurt, I found the sight of him laying there with 21 cups and large bruises forming very funny. The masseuse also found it very funny. He was pointing and laughing at him. I wonder if he was laughing because they found a westerner to actually do cupping. 

The cups adhered to his back.
Removing the cups.
The result.
 Lesson learned, if someone asks if you want cupping, the answer should always be no, thank you.

3 comments:

  1. Andrew your back looks horribly painful. Are the bruises still there? Next time you don't know what something is, please ask for at least a basic explanation. We want you back in Arizona in a healthy condition. Love Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a view from later that evening...
    http://i.imgur.com/iICW7.jpg
    it is fading pretty well now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Debbie. Did anyone ever tell you the purpose?

    ReplyDelete