Wednesday, June 5, 2013

10 Things We've Learned About Owen

1. He does not like his car seat. It seems he thinks it is some form of torture. A lot of the times me loudly singing the 6 nursery rhymes on repeat that I remember will soothe him (who ever thought someone would actually enjoy my singing voice), sometimes the pacifier will, but other times nothing works and he just screams.

2. He hates getting his clothes changed. He doesn't mind clothes going over his head so much, but putting a sleeves on or off his arms is pretty horrible.

3. He doesn't  wake with a smile on his face. He wakes upset that he wasn't being fed before he was even awake. (Andrew's mom said this is also how Andrew woke up, so I'm blaming this on him).

4. His changing table makes him happy. Smiles are guaranteed for me if he is chillin' on the changing table and I talk to him (of course only if we're not changing his clothes).

5. He needs to be put to bed. He's not the type of child that will willy nilly fall asleep because he's tired, oh no, he would like to be bounced, swaddled, and possibly listening to his music, i.e. white noise or extreme rain, before he's willing to close those eye lids.

6. He thinks peak-a-boo is a great game.

7. He's not shy about letting the world know when he's having a bowl movement. He clenches his fists, his face turns red and he grunts.

8. He doesn't think he needs very much sleep. For example, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. today he slept a total of 45 minutes. 

9. He has acid reflux. This is something we figured out when he was five weeks old after two long weeks of a pretty unhappy baby. (Thankfully he wasn't diagnosed with 24 hour colic, which I thought it was possible since the symptoms seem similar; he was extremely fussy and inconsolable all waking hours). We first tried to limit dairy and soy from my diet, hold him upright 20 minutes after each feeding and have him sleep on an incline. After a week of this helping a little bit, but not a lot, he was prescribed Zantac and is much happier. I tried to introduce dairy back into my diet, but that seemed to bring on another bout of fussiness. For those who know me know this is a bit of a sacrifice, I do love my cheese, but I think it's worth it.

10. He's the best baby in the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment